Followers

Thursday, May 5, 2011

For all those who thought PORTAL 1 was short and easy !

I'd like to make a point about PORTAL 1 today.

 
I've started playing it when buying the new Orange box as many of you surely did. And I went through the game having much fun for 4/5 hours but then nothing. I tried the avanced map wich are 6 maps of the game remixed to be a bit harder. And a bit weird sometimes so not much fun in the end. But still it is a game you can't forget.

And I know most of my friends played the game this way !

But long ago going in a local oraganised LAN I was so fed up that people played counter-strike all day long that me and a friend started playing PORTAL 1 in the middle of the day. (Marv Lap1 was present this day ;) My friend told me : Hey ! Ever tried the CHALLENGE maps ?
Since the avanced maps didn't give me anything to dream on it was true that I didn't even tried them.
So he started showing me what it was really all about.


To explain shortly you have the 6 individual maps with challenge attached to it. Look at this picture:


Yes it's this screen that give you the real game in the end. Many people didn't even tried it myself included. But you have to by exemple finish one map with 10 portals. Wich gives you the first bronze medal (next medals are hidden wich is great when you dicover the next goal) And it goes decrescendo to reach by exemple 4 portals to have the gold.

Wich leads to many surprise of how the HELL you can finish the map with less steps less time or less portals.
It will makes you find inside yourself techniques that was totally not needed in the main solo game.

I started playing that challenges again this days cause it still not is over. You'll need so much time compared to the max 6 hours of the main adventure. For now I finished the first 3 maps all in gold and I get the all bronze achievement.

So my question to all you gamers and then probably possessing the first Portal.

Did you tried the challenges map ? And if no you definatly should.

20 comments:

  1. I didn't even know there was challenge maps... Although I hate this stream of thought in gaming TBH. It is like the overused way to try and add replay value to the game. Maybe I am just being too harsh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I spent ages trying to solve those ones, I expected portal 2 to be harder but was a little disapointed

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember these challenge maps. They did add a lot of time to the game!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I "platinum'ed" it! Damn right, all achievements :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. So there is actually a different ending after you finish the modes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I beat everything in it and loved every second of it :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried a few, they're quite challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to get better at gaming. My current addiction is DotA, and I still kinda suck at it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i dont play it, but i might give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  10. Portal 1 was too easy for me too..thx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Portal 2 was too easy in comparison; controls were definitely dumbed down for consoles so people could do the puzzles with no reflexes required, since you can't turn quickly or accurately without a mouse.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought that Portal 1 was really good. following.

    ReplyDelete
  13. portal is great, people worry too much about how long games are these days

    its a big reason multiplayer has taken over single player in many developer's eyes

    ReplyDelete
  14. I actually didn't buy the orange box.. just tf2 and portal on steam

    ReplyDelete
  15. I havnt tried them yet. Ill do it when i get back to my other comp!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't know about the challenges...

    ReplyDelete